Hai from Lifna...........new member
LIFNA JOS
2009-12-24 08:22:17 UTC
Hai friends...........

I am lifna from Mumbai...........
Recently i joined the group.......Thanks for accepting my request........
I take this opportunity to Wish all the members.........\

Merry Christmas & Prosperous New Year........
May GOD bestow all blessings upon you & your families...............

Lifna
narendra sisodiya
2009-12-24 08:57:11 UTC
Post by LIFNA JOS
Hai friends...........
I am lifna from Mumbai...........
Recently i joined the group.......Thanks for accepting my request........
I take this opportunity to Wish all the members.........\
        Merry Christmas & Prosperous New Year........
        May GOD bestow all blessings upon you & your families...............
Lifna
Why you are advertising Windows 7 here ??
--
┌─────────────────────────┐
│ Narendra Sisodiya ( à€šà€°à¥‡à€šà¥à€Šà¥à€° à€žà€¿à€žà¥‹à€Šà€¿à€¯à€Ÿ )
└─────────────────────────┘
Abishek Goda
2009-12-24 09:01:16 UTC
Post by narendra sisodiya
Why you are advertising Windows 7 here ??
Was there a choice? I think the mail is coming from a hotmail id!

Abishek
Varrun Ramani
2009-12-24 09:16:20 UTC
Post by Abishek Goda
Post by narendra sisodiya
Why you are advertising Windows 7 here ??
Was there a choice? I think the mail is coming from a hotmail id!
Yeah, another one of MS marketing ploys.
--
Thanks & Regards
Varrun Ramani
Roshan Mathews
2009-12-24 09:21:50 UTC
Post by LIFNA JOS
Hai friends...........
I am lifna from Mumbai...........
Recently i joined the group.......Thanks for accepting my request........
I take this opportunity to Wish all the members.........\
        Merry Christmas & Prosperous New Year........
        May GOD bestow all blessings upon you & your families...............
Lifna
Hai Lifna,

Welcome to the group.

We usually send our holiday greetings to "Kenneth Gonsalves"
<lawgon-***@public.gmane.org> so that he can send us a consolidated list at
the end of the festival time. Please do so from now on, instead of
mailing the group.

Please read the mailing list guidelines, and hang around for a while
to see how things are done around here.

Enjoy your stay.

Regards,
Roshan Mathews
Kenneth Gonsalves
2009-12-24 10:46:21 UTC
Post by Roshan Mathews
We usually send our holiday greetings to "Kenneth Gonsalves"
it is considered one of the most serious breaches of internet etiquette to
expose a person's email address or phone number in a publicly accessible place
without his consent. In many forums the offender is instantly ejected. Before
advising newcomers on etiquette I suggest you bone up on it ...

@listadmin - if possible please obfuscate the email address in the archives.
--
regards
kg
Roshan Mathews
2009-12-24 10:59:32 UTC
On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 4:16 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Roshan Mathews
We usually send our holiday greetings to "Kenneth Gonsalves"
it is considered one of the most serious breaches of internet etiquette to
expose a person's email address or phone number in a publicly accessible place
without his consent. In many forums the offender is instantly ejected. Before
advising newcomers on etiquette I suggest you bone up on it ...
And yet, http://www.google.co.in/#q=lawgon%40thenilgiris.com shows
that it hasn't really been something you have normally obfuscated.

I just figured, given the mail this morning where you took upon
yourself to educate the list on netiquette, you might want to hear
from our latest member.

Season's greetings! :)
--
Roshan Mathews
http://teamtalk.im
Kenneth Gonsalves
2009-12-24 11:02:10 UTC
Post by Roshan Mathews
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
it is considered one of the most serious breaches of internet etiquette
to expose a person's email address or phone number in a publicly
accessible place without his consent. In many forums the offender is
instantly ejected. Before advising newcomers on etiquette I suggest you
bone up on it ...
And yet, http://www.google.co.in/#q=lawgon%40thenilgiris.com shows
that it hasn't really been something you have normally obfuscated.
*I* am entitled to put my email address anywhere in the world or even paint it
on the roads - *you* are not. Without *my* permission you have absolutely no
right over my personal data. And do not try to avoid the point. You have
behaved irresponsibly - own up to it. Unless you are actually justifying the
exposure of my personal data?
Roshan Mathews
2009-12-24 11:13:33 UTC
On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Roshan Mathews
And yet, http://www.google.co.in/#q=lawgon%40thenilgiris.com shows
that it hasn't really been something you have normally obfuscated.
*I* am entitled to put my email address anywhere in the world or even paint it
on the roads - *you* are not. Without *my* permission you have absolutely no
right over my personal data. And do not try to avoid the point. You have
behaved irresponsibly - own up to it. Unless you are actually justifying the
exposure of my personal data?
I'm only pointing out that your great moral outrage though voluble is
barely justifiable. Surely you overreact?

Btw, not sure about that painting on the roads bit. But then, unlike
you, IANAL. :)
--
Roshan Mathews
http://teamtalk.im
Kenneth Gonsalves
2009-12-24 11:17:01 UTC
Post by Roshan Mathews
I am entitled to put my email address anywhere in the world or even paint
it on the roads - you are not. Without my permission you have absolutely
no right over my personal data. And do not try to avoid the point. You
have behaved irresponsibly - own up to it. Unless you are actually
justifying the exposure of my personal data?
I'm only pointing out that your great moral outrage though voluble is
barely justifiable. Surely you overreact?
as already suggested - learn something about etiquette. I do not suppose you
have noticed that email addresses are obfuscated in the archives of this list?
or in most lists? (I wonder why we Indians are so reluctant to acknowledge
that we have made a mistake?) Just admit it - get it off your chest and enjoy
Christmas.
Roshan Mathews
2009-12-24 11:47:27 UTC
On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 4:47 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Roshan Mathews
I'm only pointing out that your great moral outrage though voluble is
barely justifiable.  Surely you overreact?
as already suggested - learn something about etiquette. I do not suppose you
have noticed that email addresses are obfuscated in the archives of this list?
or in most lists? (I wonder why we Indians are so reluctant to acknowledge
that we have made a mistake?) Just admit it - get it off your chest and enjoy
Christmas.
Au contraire, I checked the archives when you complained, Mailman had
already obfuscated it. As already suggested, maybe you're
overreacting. (I wonder why you lawyers jump to conclusions and make
mountains out of molehills.) You have a merry Christmas too.
--
Roshan Mathews
http://teamtalk.im
Kenneth Gonsalves
2009-12-24 11:54:26 UTC
Post by Roshan Mathews
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
as already suggested - learn something about etiquette. I do not suppose
you have noticed that email addresses are obfuscated in the archives of
this list? or in most lists? (I wonder why we Indians are so reluctant to
acknowledge that we have made a mistake?) Just admit it - get it off your
chest and enjoy Christmas.
Au contraire, I checked the archives when you complained, Mailman had
already obfuscated it. As already suggested, maybe you're
overreacting. (I wonder why you lawyers jump to conclusions and make
mountains out of molehills.) You have a merry Christmas too.
so you are still contending that what you did was according to etiquette? btw,
did mailman obscure it or did the list admin do it? anyway to test I will put
an email id here and see what happens. The id is 'idiot-***@public.gmane.org' and do
not worry - that id is registered to me, so no one will be harmed by the
experiment.

As for your attempted defence, I have seen that the most common defence in
rape cases is - 'she is a woman of loose character, so no big deal'. Sounds
familiar no?
Mano
2009-12-24 12:13:29 UTC
Now the OP will be wondering why the heck s/he ever joined this list :-)

regds,
mano
Kenneth Gonsalves
2009-12-24 12:24:01 UTC
Post by Mano
Now the OP will be wondering why the heck s/he ever joined this list :-)
or s/he may have learnt that security is a process - holes appear, they are
plugged. More holes appear and they too are plugged. And the list gets more
and more secure. (see my post on another thread). Eternal vigilance is the
price of freedom and security. Unless you are contending that exposing email
addresses in publicly accessible archives is a good thing?
Mano
2009-12-24 13:28:25 UTC
On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 5:54 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Mano
Now the OP will be wondering why the heck s/he ever joined this list :-)
or s/he may have learnt that security is a process - holes appear, they are
plugged. More holes appear and they too are plugged. And the list gets more
and more secure. (see my post on another thread). Eternal vigilance is the
price of freedom and security. Unless you are contending that exposing email
addresses in publicly accessible archives is a good thing?
--
regards
kg
http://lawgon.livejournal.com
Apologize to the other members, but could not resist pointing this out:

When I click on lawgon.livejournal.com, I can see half your life history
(and your email id) listed there!! So, what's the big deal here?

That said, I agree that mailman should do a better job of scrubbing email
ids - at least for the sake of other members really would like to keep it
private!

regds,
mano
narendra sisodiya
2009-12-24 14:22:29 UTC
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Mano
Now the OP will be wondering why the heck s/he ever joined this list :-)
or s/he may have learnt that security is a process - holes appear, they are
plugged. More holes appear and they too are plugged. And the list gets more
and more secure. (see my post on another thread). Eternal vigilance is the
price of freedom and security. Unless you are contending that exposing email
addresses in publicly accessible archives is a good thing?
--
regards
kg
http://lawgon.livejournal.com
When I click on lawgon.livejournal.com, I can see half your life history
(and your email id) listed there!! So, what's the big deal here?
There is a big deal.
KG has already gave example.
his contact email id belongs to him. he has full right to share with
anybody at anyplace. we do not have this right (unless he release his
contact details under some CC license).
Post by Mano
That said, I agree that mailman should do a better job of scrubbing email
ids - at least for the sake of other members really would like to keep it
private!
regds,
mano
Please try to stop his thread
--
┌─────────────────────────┐
│ Narendra Sisodiya ( नरेन्द्र सिसोदिया )
Kenneth Gonsalves
2009-12-25 06:38:28 UTC
Post by Mano
When I click on lawgon.livejournal.com, I can see half your life history
(and your email id) listed there!! So, what's the big deal here?
you find a man beaten and dying on the road - so you give him one more shot and
finish him off - anyway he is dying, so what is the big deal there?

some one's privacy is invaded - pictures of him naked are plastered all over
the internet - so you join in the party and paste a few more in flickr - anyway
he is exposed so what is the big deal in exposing him some more?

unfortunately it is a sad part of our society in general and our justice
system in particular that it is usually the victim of the crime who is on
trial when an offence is prosecuted. I know a police station near Chromepet
which refused to accept a burglary complaint saying: 'why did you keep your
jewels in your house - you are at fault!'

and before some one chirps up and says that this is OT to this group, I would
like to point out that freedom and the right to privacy are an integral part
of the free software movement - and the respect to privacy is an integral part
of the war against spammers which we in this list, and every one in all
internet forums is fighting.

I am a little surprised that you agree that the obfuscation done on our list
is insufficient. After all some spammer must have already written a script and
harvested the addresses - so what is the big deal about this?

And I suppose you will say the same about Stallman's campaign against
sacrificing privacy to cloud computing firms, or Behlendorf's campaign against
sacrificing privacy to gmail. Everyone is doing it - so what is the big deal?
Abishek Goda
2009-12-25 07:11:04 UTC
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
I know a police station near Chromepet
which refused to accept a burglary complaint saying: 'why did you keep your
jewels in your house - you are at fault!'
Oops, there is a lesson or two there for us chromepet residents :-).

Abishek
Common Man
2009-12-25 13:48:13 UTC
On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 12:08 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
you find a man beaten and dying on the road - so you give him one more shot and
finish him off - anyway he is dying, so what is the big deal there?
"You don’t kick a dead dog"
Thought that might console you KG

Regards,

Common Man
Saravanan S
2009-12-25 17:49:32 UTC
The more you say, the more likely you are to say something foolish.

Oysters open completely when the moon is full; and when the crab sees one
it throws a piece of stone or seaweed into it and the oyster cannot close
again so that it serves the crab for meat. Such is the fate of him who opens
his mouth too much and thereby puts himself at the mercy of the listener.
Leonardo da Vinci, 1452-1519

Saravanan Sundaramoorthy
Red Hat Certified Engineer
+91 99404 32545
Kenneth Gonsalves
2009-12-26 10:21:50 UTC
Post by Saravanan S
The more you say, the more likely you are to say something foolish.
please do not top post
Roshan Mathews
2009-12-24 12:34:34 UTC
On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 5:24 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
so you are still contending that what you did was according to etiquette? btw,
did mailman obscure it or did the list admin do it?
I'm contending that though loud and whiney, your complaint was all
gas. Mailman did it, as you might know by now.
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
As for your attempted defence, I have seen that the most common defence in
rape cases is - 'she is a woman of loose character, so no big deal'. Sounds
familiar no?
Dunno, that seems more in your line.
--
Roshan Mathews
http://teamtalk.im
Kenneth Gonsalves
2009-12-24 12:39:23 UTC
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
so you are still contending that what you did was according to etiquette?
btw, did mailman obscure it or did the list admin do it?
I'm contending that though loud and whiney, your complaint was all
gas.
kindly refrain from abusive language
Post by Roshan Mathews
Mailman did it, as you might know by now.
actually mailman did not - the address is not obfuscated. And thanks to your
carelessness, a hole has been discovered in the archives. Can we take this as
your Christmas present to the list?
Post by Roshan Mathews
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
As for your attempted defence, I have seen that the most common defence
in rape cases is - 'she is a woman of loose character, so no big deal'.
Sounds familiar no?
Dunno, that seems more in your line.
so you are *still* contending that exposing email addresses in public archives
is a good thing to do?
Varrun Ramani
2009-12-24 12:34:52 UTC
Post by Roshan Mathews
We usually send our holiday greetings to "Kenneth Gonsalves"
the end of the festival time. Please do so from now on, instead of
mailing the group.
Was this system actually in place before this? I mean sending the greetings
to Kenneth or is it just sarcasm?
--
Thanks & Regards
Varrun Ramani
Kenneth Gonsalves
2009-12-24 12:47:19 UTC
Post by Varrun Ramani
Post by Roshan Mathews
We usually send our holiday greetings to "Kenneth Gonsalves"
the end of the festival time. Please do so from now on, instead of
mailing the group.
Was this system actually in place before this? I mean sending the greetings
to Kenneth or is it just sarcasm?
sarcasm - apparently he got annoyed that I had sent a mail to the list asking
people to refrain from flooding the list with season's greetings.
Hrishikesh Murali
2009-12-24 12:59:59 UTC
Hi,

No offense. But can we please keep this discussion offline? People involved
can come to a conclusion offline and then post the suggestion, if and only
if it is *necessary* to post it in a Linux users' mailing list!
--
Thanks and Regards,
Hrishikesh Murali
Kenneth Gonsalves
2009-12-25 06:42:31 UTC
Post by Hrishikesh Murali
No offense. But can we please keep this discussion offline? People involved
can come to a conclusion offline and then post the suggestion, if and only
if it is necessary to post it in a Linux users' mailing list!
this discussion *is* necessary for a Linux users' mailing list - how do you
think you can enjoy this list with minumum or no spam? Do you think it
happened by magic? Or that there is some committee somewhere to protect you?
All of us are involved in keeping the list more and more secure - and also in
giving confidence to people who join this list that whatever private
information they give to the list will be protected. That their email
addresses will not be harvested. That they will not receive unsolicited mail.
etc etc etc.
narendra sisodiya
2009-12-25 09:16:33 UTC
On Fri, Dec 25, 2009 at 12:12 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Kenneth Gonsalves
Post by Hrishikesh Murali
[...]
Can we apply some filter (at mailman) before sending each mail. Filter
can be used to replace email id into empty string !(I have no idea
about mailman, but this is just a suggestion)!
--
Kenneth Gonsalves
2009-12-25 10:53:55 UTC
Post by narendra sisodiya
Can we apply some filter (at mailman) before sending each mail. Filter
can be used to replace email id into empty string !(I have no idea
about mailman, but this is just a suggestion)!
there is an RFC on obfuscation of mail in archives - and it can be done in
mailman. Mumbai lug does it - so do linuxchix, gmane, gmail ... no big deal