USB Stack Debugging
Mukund JB.
2006-02-17 11:46:53 UTC
Dear All,

I want to know the USB Host stack implementation in Linux.
I have seen the Linus First proto mouse driver implementation in 2.2.x
range of kernels.
I guess, I will this will help be better understanding the code.
What is your opinion? Can anyone give some pointers?
Also, I want the Redhat 6.2 & 5.2 ISO Images.
Where can I find them?

Regards,
Mukund Jampala
Shakthi Kannan
2006-02-17 11:58:02 UTC
Hi,
Post by Mukund JB.
I want to know the USB Host stack implementation in
Linux.
Use the source, Mugund!

http://lxr.linux.no/source/drivers/usb/host/

http://lxr.linux.no/source/drivers/usb/core/
Post by Mukund JB.
I have seen the Linus First proto mouse driver
implementation in 2.2.x
range of kernels.
Old.
Post by Mukund JB.
Also, I want the Redhat 6.2 & 5.2 ISO Images.
Old. You won't find any support for them. Please
migrate to 2.6 Linux kernels.

SK

--
Shakthi Kannan, MS
Software Engineer, Hexaware Technologies

http://mail.yahoo.com
Mukund JB.
2006-02-17 13:07:56 UTC
Hi Shahthi,

In which section are the transfer modes supported i.e. isochronous and
others. Is it in the host or core?

Regards,
Mukund Jampala
Shakthi Kannan

2006-02-20 04:21:53 UTC
Dear Shakti,
Post by Shakthi Kannan
Its called top-posting. Please don't do that in the
mailing list.
Extremely Sorry for this. I will keep this in mind.
Post by Shakthi Kannan
What do you mean by which section?
Isochronous is only for USB 2.0 HS/FS devices, not for
LS devices. Much of the USB specification is
implemented in usbcore module in 2.6 kernels,
drivers/usb/core. Host controllers are implemented in
drivers/usb/host.
What does the "Host controllers are implemented" mean? Do you mean
hardware specific layer is handled here?
My point is to follow the Linux implementation of USB Specifications. I
would like write my own small USB Stack with just MASS storage class
support included in it.

Regards,
Mukund Jampala
Shakthi Kannan
2006-02-20 04:42:08 UTC
Hi Mukund,
Post by Mukund JB.
What does the "Host controllers are implemented"
mean? Do you mean
hardware specific layer is handled here?
Yes, driver implementation for the host controller
hardware.

The way USB is implemented with GNU/Linux is:

application

usbcore.ko

uhci-hcd.ko/ohci-hcd.ko/ehci-hcd.ko

usbcore.ko implements the USB 2.0 specification. It
acts as an intermediate layer to user-space, as well
as hardware. Host controller drivers (OHCI/UHCI/EHCI)
talk to the root hub and physical ports.

Desktop PCs are usually PCI-based. So, you will find
PCI calls in the driver implementation.
Post by Mukund JB.
My point is to follow the Linux implementation of
USB Specifications. I
would like write my own small USB Stack with just
MASS storage class
support included in it.
For mass storage, you will use usb-storage.ko. and
scsi_mod.ko (SCSI).

Have fun,

SK

http://mail.yahoo.com
Mukund JB.
2006-02-21 12:38:48 UTC
Dear Shakthi,

I am reading the USB Specification 2.0.
I want through the 5.12.1 & 5.12.2 sections today.
I am not clear about the USB master clock architecture I have read.
Can you please brief me about the architecture of the master clock USB
System?

Thanks & Regards,
Mukund Jampala